The New iPhone
According to industry insiders, Apple has shattered their one quarter selling record for the popular iPhone. The new iPhone is huge… I mean, It. Is. Huge. The screen on the iPhone 6 is as big as some small tablet devices. According to Apple’s website, the iPhone 6 Plus wields a 5.5″ screen. The smaller version of the iPhone 6 has a 4.7″ screen. This screen will enable users to get the most out of the iPhone experience.
So just how many iPhone 6 devices has Apple sold? 3rd 2014 iPhone orders total 39.27 million! Quick math problem. If they sold 39.27 million devices, and the average price for all 6 models of the new iPhone 6 is $349, how much revenue did they generate? 349*39.27 billion =????? Post that in the comment section below!
With the large screen, and the number 6 after the name, it should be no surprise that loyal users are dying to upgrade. But what’s a bigger surprise is Apple’s reliance on this device. iPhone sales account for 70% of Apple’s total revenue. The remaining 30% is generated through iTunes, iPad, iPod, and other sources. Talk about having all your eggs in one basket. That would scare the “H-E-Double Hockey Sticks” out of me if I were an investor. Never the less their stock is up about 33% since May 2014.
I own an iPad, but I didn’t see much of a noticeable difference when I upgraded to iOS 8. I was hoping for more, but didn’t get more. Instead, my device started acting sluggish, non-responsive, and overall didn’t operate nearly as well as it did before the upgrade. As such, I backed up my device and installed iOS 8 after wiping my device of all data. I then installed my data using the backup and restore utility. It runs perfectly now. I would say I am happy with iOS 8 and the performance of my device. However, I wasted 2 hours of my life trying to get iOS 8 to run properly.
iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users will receive iOS 8 out for the box and in some cases iOS 8.1. According to Apple, the following are some of the new features.
- Better developer access.
- Better photo gallery that among other things enables users to search.
- New message and chat features allowing voice, location, and video directly into the messaging screen.
- New and improved onscreen keyboard. Better predictive text.
- Family sharing – Music, Video, Pictures, iTunes, iBooks, and up to six people.
Overall, the features add some value to the iOS series of devices. But for me, I’m going to stick with my good ol’ Android device. It is familiar, reliable, open source and most of all… mine.